EconPapers    
Economics at your fingertips  
 

Firing costs, misallocation, and aggregate productivity

Da-Rocha, José-María, Diego Restuccia () and Marina Mendes Tavares
Authors registered in the RePEc Author Service: José María Da Rocha ()

Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, 2019, vol. 98, issue C, 60-81

Abstract: We study the impact of firing costs on aggregate total factor productivity (TFP) in a dynamic general-equilibrium framework where the evolution of establishment-level productivity is not invariant to the policy. Firing costs not only generate static factor misallocation, but also distort the selection of establishment’s growth by size, contributing to larger aggregate TFP losses. Numerical experiments indicate that firing costs equivalent to 5 year’s wages imply a reduction in TFP of more than 20%. Factor misallocation accounts for 20% of the productivity loss, whereas the remaining 80% arises from distorted selection in the productivity process.

Keywords: Firing costs; Inaction; Misallocation; Establishments; Productivity (search for similar items in EconPapers)
JEL-codes: O1 O4 E1 E6 (search for similar items in EconPapers)
Date: 2019
References: View references in EconPapers View complete reference list from CitEc
Citations: View citations in EconPapers (1) Track citations by RSS feed

Downloads: (external link)
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0165188918303762
Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only

Related works:
Working Paper: Firing Costs, Misallocation, and Aggregate Productivity (2016) Downloads
Working Paper: Firing Costs, Misallocation, and Aggregate Productivity (2016) Downloads
Working Paper: Firing Costs, Misallocation, and Aggregate Productivity (2016) Downloads
This item may be available elsewhere in EconPapers: Search for items with the same title.

Export reference: BibTeX RIS (EndNote, ProCite, RefMan) HTML/Text

Persistent link: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:98:y:2019:i:c:p:60-81

Access Statistics for this article

Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control is currently edited by J. Bullard, C. Chiarella, H. Dawid, C. H. Hommes, P. Klein and C. Otrok

More articles in Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control from Elsevier
Bibliographic data for series maintained by Dana Niculescu ().

 
Page updated 2019-05-03
Handle: RePEc:eee:dyncon:v:98:y:2019:i:c:p:60-81