EconPapers    
Economics at your fingertips  
 

Farm Subsidy and Farmland Cash Rent under Rapid Urbanization: Evidence from Chinese Farm Household Panel 2004-2013

Y. Chen, K. Chen and F. Zhong

No 277513, 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia from International Association of Agricultural Economists

Abstract: Individual farmers have been entitled to lease farmland in China since 2003. During the same period, China has undergone a rapid urbanization, causing farmers to leave their lands. In 2004, the government introduced farm subsidies nationwide to encourage farming. This paper represents the very first attempt to examine the impact of farm subsidies on farmland cash rents in China. We construct a farmland rental model to account for imperfect competitions due to insecure property rights. This model is estimated using information from 5,041 households in China over the 2004-2013 period. Estimation results show that farm subsidies have a positive and statistically significant impact on farmland rents. The incidence of farm subsidies on farmland rents is estimated to be 0.45, which suggests that farmland tenants capture 55 percent of the subsidy, leaving 45 percent for landlords. This implies that farm subsidy policies exhibit substantial distributional effects. In addition, urbanization and market returns are also found to have a positive relationship with farmland rents, which is consistent with previous literature. Acknowledgement : Financial support of the NSFC (National Natural Science Foundation of China)-CGIAR (Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research) Program is gratefully acknowledged.

Keywords: Agricultural; and; Food; Policy (search for similar items in EconPapers)
New Economics Papers: this item is included in nep-agr, nep-cna, nep-dev and nep-tra
Date: 2018-07
References: View references in EconPapers View complete reference list from CitEc
Citations: Track citations by RSS feed

Downloads: (external link)
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/277513/files/1347.pdf (application/pdf)

Related works:
This item may be available elsewhere in EconPapers: Search for items with the same title.

Export reference: BibTeX RIS (EndNote, ProCite, RefMan) HTML/Text

Persistent link: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:ags:iaae18:277513

DOI: 10.22004/ag.econ.277513

Access Statistics for this paper

More papers in 2018 Conference, July 28-August 2, 2018, Vancouver, British Columbia from International Association of Agricultural Economists Contact information at EDIRC.
Bibliographic data for series maintained by AgEcon Search ().

 
Page updated 2019-10-12
Handle: RePEc:ags:iaae18:277513