EconPapers    
Economics at your fingertips  
 

Household Food Security in the United States in 2016

Alisha Coleman-Jensen (), Matthew Rabbitt (), Christian A. Gregory and Anita Singh

No 291968, Economic Research Report from United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service

Abstract: An estimated 87.7 percent of American households were food secure throughout the entire year in 2016, meaning they had access at all times to enough food for an active, healthy life for all household members. The remaining households (12.3 percent) were food insecure at least some time during the year, including 4.9 percent with very low food security, meaning that at times the food intake of one or more household members was reduced and their eating patterns were disrupted because the household lacked money and other resources for obtaining food. Changes from 2015 to 2016 in food insecurity overall (from 12.7 to 12.3 percent) and in very low food security (from 5.0 to 4.9 percent) were not statistically significant, but they continued a downward trend in food insecurity from a high of 14.9 percent in 2011. Among children, changes from 2015 in food insecurity and very low food security were also not statistically significant. Children and adults were food insecure in 8.0 percent of households with children in 2016, essentially unchanged from 7.8 percent in 2015. Very low food security among children was 0.8 percent in 2016, essentially unchanged from 0.7 percent in 2015. In 2016, the typical food-secure household spent 29 percent more on food than the typical food-insecure household of the same size and household composition. About 59 percent of food-insecure households participated in one or more of the three largest Federal food and nutrition assistance programs during the month prior to the 2016 survey (food stamps (SNAP); Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC); and the National School Lunch Program).

Keywords: Agricultural and Food Policy; Food Consumption/Nutrition/Food Safety; Public Economics (search for similar items in EconPapers)
Pages: 44
Date: 2017-09
References: Add references at CitEc
Citations: View citations in EconPapers (44) Track citations by RSS feed

Downloads: (external link)
https://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/291968/files/err-237.pdf (application/pdf)

Related works:
This item may be available elsewhere in EconPapers: Search for items with the same title.

Export reference: BibTeX RIS (EndNote, ProCite, RefMan) HTML/Text

Persistent link: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:ags:uersrr:291968

DOI: 10.22004/ag.econ.291968

Access Statistics for this paper

More papers in Economic Research Report from United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service Contact information at EDIRC.
Bibliographic data for series maintained by AgEcon Search ().

 
Page updated 2023-02-01
Handle: RePEc:ags:uersrr:291968