EconPapers    
Economics at your fingertips  
 

Impacts of the 2013 CAP reform on the EU farming sector: An assessment using a microeconomic farm model

Maria Espinosa, Kamel Louhichi, Angel Perni, Pavel Ciaian and Sergio Gomez Y Paloma

No 258071, 2017 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 1, Chicago, Illinois from Agricultural and Applied Economics Association

Abstract: This paper analyses the impact of the new direct payments (DPs) system introduced by the 2013 CAP reform on EU farming sector. We apply the EU-wide individual farm level model (IFM-CAP) which allows capturing farm specific implementation of DPs and assessing their distributional effects. Simulation results show that although the 2013 CAP reform succeeded to partially harmonize DPs between MS, relatively strong differences in DPs still remain in place. An important result of the 2013 CAP reform is also internal convergence of DPs within MS. The 2013 CAP reform reduced inequality of DPs as measured by the Gini coefficient from 0.581 to 0.561. The farm income decreases by around 1.3% at EU level due to the introduction of the new DPs. Around 60% of farms loose, whereas the remaining 40% of farms gain from the reform in EU-27. Small farms benefit, while large farms lose from the 2013 CAP reform.

Keywords: Agricultural and Food Policy; Agricultural Finance; Farm Management (search for similar items in EconPapers)
New Economics Papers: this item is included in nep-agr
Date: 2017-06-28
References: View references in EconPapers View complete reference list from CitEc
Citations: Track citations by RSS feed

Downloads: (external link)
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/record/258071/files/im ... _AAEA_2017_11336.pdf (application/pdf)

Related works:
This item may be available elsewhere in EconPapers: Search for items with the same title.

Export reference: BibTeX RIS (EndNote, ProCite, RefMan) HTML/Text

Persistent link: https://EconPapers.repec.org/RePEc:ags:aaea17:258071

DOI: 10.22004/ag.econ.258071

Access Statistics for this paper

More papers in 2017 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 1, Chicago, Illinois from Agricultural and Applied Economics Association Contact information at EDIRC.
Bibliographic data for series maintained by AgEcon Search ().

 
Page updated 2020-01-15
Handle: RePEc:ags:aaea17:258071